3 ways to get the most out of gifting for Earth Month

Recognizing Earth Day

With intentional, sustainable gifting and swag

Better for our environment, your recipient experience, and your budget

We all know that one of the best ways to forge a connection and build a relationship with a corporate prospect or customer is with a well-thought-out gift.

And of course, for many of us, that means sending out branded swag. But as Earth Month approaches, it’s a great opportunity to reevaluate the environmental impact of what amounts to sending a lot of stuff, to a lot of places.

Here at Alyce, we have some solutions for sending the right gift, to the right person, in a way that does right by the planet while driving revenue-generating conversations at the same time.

Alyce CX Automation

According to a report by the Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI), the promotional products industry generates approximately 23 billion items per year, with a value of over $24 billion.

Now, consider that according to ASI, only 65% of consumers said they would keep a promotional product if it was useful, so for the remaining 35% of people who wouldn’t hold on to that swag, that represents over 8 billion items per year that very likely ends up in landfills.

In another report, according to the Global Ad Impressions Study by the Advertising Specialty Institute, just 21% of branded and promotional items are kept for any length of time.

More than half is given away, and 23% is thrown away. This doesn’t even cover the environmental impact of making, packaging, and shipping unwanted swag in the first place.

And what happens when your company changes its logo, and tagline or does some other rebrand, as many companies (especially in tech) tend to do? When those changes occur, the swag you already have with the older branding becomes obsolete.

According to our informal poll, under those conditions, 50% of companies will donate it (at which point they lose control over who is wearing or toting it around), and 30% will hold onto it indefinitely in “warehouse purgatory” – often at considerable expense.

That’s not good sense for the environment, your brand, or good cents for your company’s wallet!

Then there’s the good stuff: the wanted swag and the wanted gifts or gift cards and charitable alternatives.

Here are some alternatives to really make your gifting more environmentally friendly as well as impactful:

  1. Choose eco-friendly gifts

When selecting gifts for Earth Month, choose eco-friendly items that align with your company’s sustainability values. Alyce has a wide range of eco-friendly gift options, including reusable bags, water bottles, and organic food items, and more.

Sustainable gifts

We even have a new curated marketplace of sustainable products you can choose for your gifting campaigns!

  1. Use Swag OnDemand and Redemption Cards

With Alyce’s swag OnDemand, you only send what the recipient agrees to accept. This helps to reduce waste and ensures that your gifts are truly appreciated. It also saves on warehousing costs, since there’s no extra inventory to hold!

SwagBut what about live events like user conferences, trade shows, and customer visits? Alyce has you covered there, too, with Redemption Cards!

These cards present an invitation to a virtual marketplace where your recipients can choose a gift they like, based on your selected parameters.

Swag Select Card - Example with Gift Code

No hauling swag anywhere, no additional product waste, and your recipients get something they want. It’s a win for you, them, and the planet!

  1. Give back with charitable donations

Alyce also makes it easy to give back to the planet by making a donation to a sustainability organization in your recipient’s name. Some great themed charities include NRDC, World Wildlife Fund, Greenpeace, Conservation International, and 4Ocean.

You can always offer one of these (or another charity of your choice) as an option for your recipient to pick in lieu of a physical gift. In conclusion, “waste not, want not” takes on an especially deep meaning when you consider your gifting program during Earth Month.

With the tips above, you’ll be able to avoid creating needless waste, while also making sure you’re not sending a gift your recipient doesn’t want.

By choosing eco-friendly gifts, offering charitable donation options, and a gifting platform that does it all in a way that’s personalized to your recipients, you can make a positive impact on the planet and strengthen relationships with your partners and clients.

Happy, and sustainable, gifting!

April 7, 2023
Lauren Turner
Lauren Turner

Lauren is obsessed with driving experiences for customers that are engaging and educational, and in promoting retention and growth opportunities. She can often be seen presenting at conferences and on webinars, covering a variety of CX and marketing strategy topics, as well as performing improv comedy at the Doghouse Theater in Delray Beach, FL.